Hair Loss/Compounded Finasteride

Question
Dr Peter instead of making betamethasone and finasteride preparation myself  , can I just ask the pharmacist to make a lotion with Betamethasone Valerate 0.5% + Finasteride 0.05%. but in such lotion how much ml to take of each ingredient? Can you please tel me?

Answer
Your pharmacist went to school to learn how to make such lotions. He should be able to do this without getting instructions from me.
Since you have Betaderm 60 ml available to you which is Betamethasone Valerate 0.1% all your pharmacist has to do is add 30 ml isopropyl alcohol and 30 ml water and grind up 12 Proscar tablets 5mg finasteride= 60mg

To get a Finasteride 0.05% solution 5mg Proscar needs to be dissolved in 10 ml of solution therefore if you have a 120 ml solution made up as above then you will need 12 Proscar tablets or 60mg to get a 0.05% solution in a 120ml bottle.

After grinding up the 60 mg of Proscar into the 30 ml water+ 30 ml isopropyl alcohol to dissolve it - you will then want to filter out the filler material in the pills before adding it to your betamethasone solution.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>