Hair Loss/Conditioner

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr Peter,

If someone have AGA, then will using hair conditioner increase his hairloss or cause TE?

ANSWER: Using a hair conditioner will not increase his hairloss or cause TE.

QUESTION: Dr Peter, as Propecia stops balding process in 85% people and Avodart stops  balding process in over 90% people , but a person with AGA first should try Propecia instead of Avodart na?

ANSWER: The main reason for starting with Propecia which only lowers DHT levels by 66% but can stop balding in 85% of men is that it only has a 6 to 8 hour half life meaning that if for any reason you do not like some possible side effect, you can stop the pill and a week later all your hormone levels are back to normal. Dutasteride -Avodart has a 5 week half life and can still be measured in your blood four months after discontinuing it. This is considered a disadvantage by some   It can be an advantages to Dutasteride because you would only have to take the pill two or three times a week to get the same effect as 1 to 5 mg finasteride. Because it inibits both Type I and Type II 5-alpha-reductase it seems to be a more effective treatment for AGA where both enzymes are present.
  For 85% of men having tried Propecia for six to 12 months and seeing good results there would be little reason to switch to Avodart .

QUESTION: Dr peter

1) If one starts with Propecia and within 6 months if his balding process has stopped, then there is no need to switch to avodart na?

2) Sir suppose a person has male breast cancer gene, now is their any correlation that in such situation if he takes Avodart daily so there would be a high risk of getting male breast cancer  ,whereas, if he takes Propecia daily then there would be a low risk of getting male breast cancer? As daily Propecia inhibits 66% DHT while daily Avodart inhibits 90% DHT

3) Some people says that Propecia worked for them for 2-3 years and then they start loosing ground, so they had to switch to Avodart. Can any such thing happens?

Answer

Yes

It is so rare I have not come across a patient with this. IF you find out you have the gene then ask an endorinologist about this.

Yes. It is not very common.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>