Hair Loss/Dental surgery

Question
QUESTION: Hello Doctor, Can dental surgery cause telogen effluvium?

ANSWER: Yes, if it is stressful enough to your system.

From my book "Hair Loss Answers" Chapter 4-- It can be read for free at:
http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-answers/chapter-4-other-hair-loss-causes/

Stress-- It can be due to any surgical procedure or infection.

Stress can cause a type of hair loss called telogen effluvium. This condition is not caused by the general accumulated stress of ordinary interactions with people at home and at work, but rather by sudden severe emotional or physiological incidents. Severe stressful events can cause some or most actively growing hair follicles to prematurely shift into the regression phase, and then the resting phase, during which the hairs fall out easily.

There is usually a delay of a few weeks to a few months before the shedding is noticeable, but after this delay the shedding seems to occur quite suddenly. Because the shedding is delayed, this type of hair loss is often a mystery to the person suffering the condition. The stressful event that triggered it is frequently forgotten, and it is rarely thought to be connected with the “new problem.”

Examples of sudden severe emotionally stressful events include the death or terminal illness of a family member or close friend, marriage, divorce, and unexpected job loss. Severe physiological stressful events shock the body, and some examples are heart attacks, major surgery, and illnesses with prolonged high fever such as malaria, viral pneumonia, and severe cases of the flu.

In most cases of telogen effluvium, the hair follicles recover and soon shift back to the regular growth cycle.

However, repeated instances of telogen effluvium can result in premature hair loss in people predisposed to lose their hair late in life. The average growth cycle of a hair follicle takes about five years, but each follicle is “genetically programmed” for only a limited number of growth cycles. For example, if a particular hair follicle were “genetically programmed” for only ten growth cycles, after about fifty years that follicle would stop producing new hairs. When all the follicles at the hairline or crown of the head are “genetically programmed” this way, a receding hairline or bald spot appears after all the growth cycles for the follicles in those areas have been cycled through.

Each incidence of telogen effluvium uses up one “life” of the affected hair follicles. So instead of having a receding hairline or bald spot at age fifty, the hair loss may occur a few years earlier. This is not a significant issue if telogen effluvium occurs once or twice in a lifetime; however, accelerated hair loss can result from repeated severe stressful events, if each instance triggers a new round of telogen effluvium.

I had a patient who was totally bald when I met him at age seventy, and he had lost all his hair by age twenty-two. He had worked on the Panama Canal fifty years earlier, and for two straight years starting when he was twenty he suffered repeated bouts of severe fever from episodes of malaria. Each time he suffered from malaria induced fever he experienced telogen effluvium, lost what hair he had, and his hair follicles lost another “life.” After ten or fifteen malaria stress cycles, at the age of twenty-two, he had the hair he would have had at age seventy. Which unfortunately for him was no hair at all.

QUESTION: By dental surgery I mean to say extraction of 3 or 4 teeth because of installation of braces. Can such extraction cause telogen effluvium which in turn can accelerate male pattern baldness in a a person already having male pattern baldness?

Answer
I'm sure most people who have had that kind of dental surgery did not experience an Telogen Effluvium which accelerated their Male Pattern Baldness- BUT eveyone is different and IF the stress at the time of surgery was adequate enough to stress your body then YES it is possible to get a TE and then an acceleration of male pattern baldness. It depends on a lot of factors. If a general anesthetic was used then just the use of that type of anesthesia could cause a TE. If there was an infection then the fever or the stress of that infection could cause a TE.
 Again- It CAN happen- It doesn't happen very often.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>