Hair Loss/Finasteride lotion

Question
QUESTION: I read your previous answers in which a patient asked about betamethasone + finasteride lotion. If instead of such combination one need to make only finasteride 0.05% lotion then in such case will he need to take 60 ml water + 60 ml isopropyl alcohol and mix in it 12 crushed Proscar tablets?

ANSWER: That is correct.

QUESTION: Dr Peter I am confused in 1 thing , E.g

A person with MPB uses 5 % minoxidil and take Propecia for 1 year. Now after 1 year he decides to quit rogaine( Assuming that their was not any regrowth with rogaine for him but rogaine did provide benefit to him in the form of furthur halting hairloss), but now as he quite minoxidil and suppose his hairloss resume because of withdrawl of minoxidil so in this case he would have seen TE?

ANSWER:          I am confused.

How do you know the hair loss stopped due to using minoxidil instead of the Propecia?

Propecia is much better at halting progression of male pattern baldness than minoxidil.

Minoxidil keeps hairs in an active growth phase for longer period of time than they normally would be in Anagen. So if you stop using it those hairs go back to their normal cycles and some people see an increase in hair falling out for a few months, but the pattern of balding usually remains the same.

Did you or did you not see a TE? Are you worried you might see a TE?

QUESTION: Sir as you said that

"Minoxidil keeps hairs in an active growth phase for longer period of time than they normally would be in Anagen. So if you stop using it those hairs go back to their normal cycles and some people see an increase in hair falling out for a few months"

As you said that some people see an increase in hair falling out for a few months after minoxidil withdrawl ,So the worst minoxidil can do after withdrawl of minoxidil is TE? Correct?

Sir does finasteride tablets dissolve in water and isopropyl alcohol, is it necessary to use isopropyl alochol also along with water?

Answer
Question 1.

Answer. Yes

Question 2.

Answer. Yes. Finasteride is soluble lower alcohol solvents, but is practically insoluble in water.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>