Hair Loss/Followup - Dr Peter Panagotacos

Question
QUESTION: Sir while mixing crushed finasteride tablets in isopropyl alcohol, is it necessary to add water also?

Sir now taking another case that a person with MPB uses 5 % minoxidil only for 1 year and does NOT take Propecia . Now after 1 year he decides to quit rogaine( Assuming that their was not any regrowth with rogaine for him but rogaine did provide benefit to him in the form of furthur halting hairloss) and begin with Propecia, but now as he quite minoxidil and suppose his hairloss resume because of withdrawl of minoxidil so in this case again the worst minoxidil can do after withdrawl of minoxidil would be TE?

ANSWER: Answer #1.
It not necessary to add water. You may want to use juts isopropyl alcohol as it comes in the bottles with 70% alcohol and 30% water.
Answer #2.
 Yes,  the worst minoxidil can do after withdrawl of minoxidil would be TE and it would most likely be a mild TE.

QUESTION: Sir , merck , the manufacturer of Propecia, has never came up with a topical finasteride. In your opinion, Why they have never launched topical finasteride?
Also Finsateride 0.05% lotion which we make (i.e  12 crushed proscar tablets mixed in 120 ml isopropyl alcohol) would it work for MPB?

ANSWER: Answer #1.
I do not know why they never tried to get a patent on a topical lotion. Studies have been done to show it lowers DHT in the hair follicles.

Answer #2.
 Yes.

QUESTION: 1) Sir can Avodart cause/provoke prostate cancer, or does it just affect PSA levels?

2) If a person is norwood class 2A or norwood class 3, but suppose he just shave his whole scalp and wears a hair system for 1 year, and after 1 year if he see his actual/real hair , so would his hairfollicles have been damaged because of wearing hair system for 1 year?

Answer
1). It does not provoke prostate cancer. I does lower DHT levels which cause Prosted Cancer.

2). A wig or hair system will not accelerate aging of the hair and will not damage the follicles If you keep the scalp clean by regular washing of the scalp.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>