Hair Loss/Followup - Dr Peter Panagotacos

Question
QUESTION: Dr Peter as you said that Itchiness for 20 to 30 minutes after applying the lotion generally means you are being irritated by the vehicle which probably contains Propylene Glycol. So in this case one shall discontinue using minoxidl in Propylene Glycol vehicle?

In AGA miniaturized hair becomes more and more miniaturized with each successive cycle, so suppose if a particular minitiaturized hair was not in its last life cycle, but here after discontinuing minoxidil it will obviously fall out but if suppose it was not in its last life cycle, so will it grow back again?

ANSWER: Discontinuance will depend on just how itchy and red the skin becomes. Many patients manage to deal with the temporary itchiness and continue to use topical minoxidil with propylene glycol. You may want to try Rogaine Foam which does not have propylene glycol.

If it is not in its last life cycle, yes, it is possible to grow back after stopping minoxidil.

QUESTION: DR Peter I use minoxidil in just alcohol base, it does not contain propylene glycol ,but still I experience itching for 30-40 mins after application, so does it indicates that I shall quit minoxidil otherwise it will make my hairloss more worse?

In PRP therapy for AGA, there are certian growth factors like VEGF, IGF etc, do you think these are effective in regrowing hair?

ANSWER: If the irritation only lasts 30 minutes and the redness goes away after that there should be very little risk to the hairs and I would think you could continue using minoxidil lotions.
I am not convinced that PRP is very successful and do not use it in my practice.

QUESTION: Sir mild irritation/itching last for 1-1.5 hrs but there is no redness present, so what shall I do in this case?

In AGA when DHT send signals to hairfollicles, the hair gradually start becoming thinner which is also known as minitarization. But is this any such rule that every minitarized hair is in its last life cycle?

Answer
If the irritation is mild and you can tolerate it then I suggest you keep using it or switch to the Rogaine Foam which has no Propylene Glycol.

You are correct in that not every miniaturized hair is in its last life cycle but they are getting close to dying. Some of them have short life spans of only months instead of years and then restart again.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>