Hair Loss/Followup -Dr Peter on receding hairline

Question
QUESTION: Dr Peter as you said that

"If you want to use just Finasteride to slow down of stop the progression of male pattern baldness that would be enough in 85% of men. I can not predict if you will be in the 85% who stop going bald or you will be in the 15% who continue to recede."

So for those 15% of men who continue to recede even on finasteride, for such people what do you recommend/suggest?

ANSWER: If after a year they continue to lose hair I have my patients try to lower their DHT even more by taking 5mg Finasteride daily and then if that is not enough they take Dutasteride. Avodart = Dutasteride lowers the DHT level 90% and that stops balding more effectively, perhaps in 95% of men.

QUESTION: Sir I am using 5% minoxidil for last 7-8 months for my AGA but now If I quit minoxidil, so I know there will be a shed known as Telogen Effluvium, but if suppose after quitting minoxidil I do not suffer TE and also my hair pull test comes negative so does it mean that everything is fine and I am not loosing hair because of withdrawl of minoxidil?
Finasteride I am taking since last 4 months

ANSWER: You may not have a shed if you have only used minoxidil for 7 months. If you do have a TE with a positive pull test your hair growth will go back to normal in a month. It should not make your hair thinner. If and how much you lose varies from person to person. IF you noticed a lot of increased density during the 7 months you used minoxidil then that is the hair that will end up falling out.

QUESTION: You mean to say that if I have used minoxidil for 7 months and then if I quit, and suppose I do not experience TE, so it means that I will loose only the hairs which were regrown with the use of minoxidil? correct?  

If suppose after quitting the minoxidil, I would have loosen the hairs which were kept alive with the use of minoxidil for 7 months then in this case I would have seen TE?

Answer
You mean to say that if I have used minoxidil for 7 months and then if I quit, and suppose I do not experience TE, so it means that I will loose only the hairs which were regrown with the use of minoxidil? correct?  

1. Correct

2.Correct

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>