Hair Loss/Male breast cancer gene and Avodart

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr Peter

Does avodart and proscar provoke/instigagte male breast cancer in a male who already have male breast cancer gene?

ANSWER: There are not enough males with a breast cancer gene who have take Avodart to be able to prove whether there is an increased risk. No one knows the answer to that question. Most doctors would tell you not to take it if you have that gene.

QUESTION: Dr Peter what is your opinion on it? If a male have breast cancer gene then shall he take proscar/avodart for genetic hairloss or not? And which test confirms that one have male breast cancer gene or not?

ANSWER: As far as I know urologists who treat many hundreds of thousands of men with Proscar and Avodart have not considered this a risk and have never checked for the gene.
I have never ordered any tests to find out if a man is carrying a male breast cancer gene.
Check with your local doctors to find out if they know where to order such a test.

QUESTION: So Dr Peter what is your opinion on it? If any male have breast cancer gene then shall he take proscar/avodart for genetic hairloss or not? Or he cannot even take Propecia (finisteride 1mg)?

Answer
I do not believe there is enough evidence to indicate there is an increase in breast cancer in men who take Proscar - Propecia - or Avodart. Considering how many men have taken these medications so far if there was an increased risk we would have seen an increase in this rare cancer. So far there is no report of an increase in men having breast cancer who have been taking any of these medications. It sounds as if someone is starting some scare campaign.
I do not worry about taking it myself or giving it to my patients without looking for a breast cancer gene first.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>