Hair Loss/Minoxidil dependancy

Question
QUESTION: Hello

Doctor, if one uses minoxidil 5% for androgenic alopecia for around 6 months and then he decided to quit minoxidil, so will he loose only the hairs which were regrown with the use of minoxidil, or will he also loose normal and healthy hair also?

ANSWER: If you only use Minoxidil for 6 months the loss you will notice will only be the hairs you grew back in that time. Your normal healthy hairs remain the same.

QUESTION: Dr Peter, if one takes propecia for 1 year and uses revivogen lotion for 1 year, but then decides to quit using revivogen , while continue using propecia so would his hairs would have became dependant on revivogen lotion?

ANSWER: Since both work to decrease the DHT to the hair follicle I would not expect you to see a shed after stopping the lotion and continuing with just Propecia.  The dependency on minoxidil is not true for Revivogen.

QUESTION: Dr Peter , if one uses minoxidil and propecia for suppose around 2 years, and then he quit using minoxidil and just continue with propecia, so I understand that miniaturized hairs would have became dependent on minoxidil and because of discontinuation of minoxidil they would fall out, but as you have mentioned in your book that each hair follicle have certain growth cycles genetically programmed,So if those miniaturized hair have some futhur growth cycles left, so would they grow again after the discontinuation of minoxidil?

Secondly I apply minoxidil on the back of my ear and experience some itching for 20-30 mins so does it mean that I am allergic to minoxidil?

Answer
When a hair becomes miniaturized it is in its last life cycle and about to die. If you apply minoxidil you can stimulate it to keep growing even though it should be dying.
DHT getting to the hair is what tells it to grow old. If you decrease the DHT you can make hairs grow for more life cycles than were programmed from birth.
 How many hairs will grow back from being in the miniaturized state differs from one person to another.
Itchiness for 20 to 30 minutes after applying the lotion generally means you are being irritated by the vehicle which probably contains Propylene Glycol. This is the main cause of irritation in 2 to 3 % of men using minoxidil lotion. The chemical Minoxidil itself causes allergies in only 1%.
 An allergic reaction would remain red and itchy for days. There is a difference between an irritant reaction and an allergic reaction.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>