Hair Loss/Receding temples and hairline

Question
QUESTION: Hi

Dr Peter for Receding temples and hairline in AGA, which one works more better to halt the Receding temples and hairline, Finisteride or Minoxidil?

ANSWER: Finisteride works better.

QUESTION: So If I am taking finisteride 1mg for receding temples and hairline, so it is not necessary na to use minoxidl also?

ANSWER: Finasteride works to lower DHT and helps prevent the progression of a receding hairline.
Minoxidill stimulates hairs to grow longer in their anagen phase but does not affect DHT levels.

The two medicines work in different ways doing different things to the hair follicle.

Using both leads to thicker hair.

QUESTION: Dr Peter , but eventually finasteride is the medicine which will stop the balding process na? If I just want to prevent furthur progression of a receding hairline and temples , so this task would be accomplished by just taking finasteride daily na? There is no need of using minoxidil na if I just want to stop the balding process, and maintain my hair as it is? I am not seeking for any regrowth/thickening

Answer
Correct. If you want to use just Finasteride to slow down of stop the progression of male pattern baldness that would be enough in 85% of men. I can not predict if you will be in the 85% who stop going bald or you will be in the 15% who continue to recede.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>