Hair Loss/Followup 2

Question
QUESTION: Dr Peter So if some one have male breast cancer gene and because of it he is not taking finasteride then what other options he has to protect his hair from dht?

ANSWER: There are no other options which will block DHT and if there were there would be the same problem faced with Propecia and a possible increased risk of breast cancer.

QUESTION: 1) Is their 100% increase risk to develop breast cancer in a person with male breast cancer gene and who is taking Propecia?

2) What would be the probability (would it be 100%? Or how much) that if someone's grandmother had breast cancer so the grandson will also have male breast cancer gene?

3)Is their any effective topical dht blocker which is as good as Propecia?

ANSWER:  There is no other blocker as effective as finasteride or dutasteride.
The risk of breat cancer is  100 time more likely according to the following study--
I suggest you read this report:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956950/

Male breast cancer is a rare disease with an incidence in general population of 1/100000 man- years which is 100 times less in comparison to the incidence observed in finasteride-treated population.[

REVIEW OF DATA ABOUT MALE BREAST CARCINOMA OCCURRING IN PATIENTS RECEIVING FINASTERIDE
As of November 2009, there have been 50 worldwide case reports of male breast cancer in BPH patients aged between 54 and 88 years (mean age of 71 years), who received 5 mg finasteride. The time to onset could be estimated in 35 of the reports; a mean time to onset being approximately 44.4 months from the commencement of treatment. The median time to onset was 36 months (range: 5 weeks–11 years). Twenty-seven cases occurred after finasteride treatment for a minimum of 1 year. Three cases have been reported with the use of Propecia® 1 mg for androgenetic alopecia. Of the 3 cases of male breast cancer reported with Propecia® 1 mg, inadequate information and the relatively short times to onset in these cases makes the causal association between male breast cancer and finasteride unlikely.[6]

QUESTION: 1)But sir in the report they said that finasteride 1mg is unlikely to increase male breast cancer risk?

2)In your opinion after how many months/years male breast cancer could be developed in a person who is taking finasteride and have male breast cancer gene?

3) Will topical finasteride also increase male breast cancer risk in a person who already have male breast cancer gene?

Answer
It is a very rare condition and even if there is an increased risk with taking finasteride the condition remains rare.
The onset of symptoms was about two years in the study quoted.
I doubt topical finasteride has enough systemic effect to cause breast cancer.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>