Hair Loss/Followup

Question
QUESTION: Dr Peter if some one have male breast cancer gene , then will you prescribe him Propecia/Avodart? And will taking Propecia/Avodart increase his risk of male breast cancer?

ANSWER: No. The reports indicate there is an increased risk in patients carrying the gene
I have never had a patient tell me he had the breast cancer gene.
If he did I would suggest he get the opinion of an oncologist.

QUESTION: 1)So sir if someone have male breast cancer gene then you will not prescribe him Propecia?

2)Before prescribing Propecia to any patient do you ask him that whether he has male breast cancer gene? Or does in his family any female had breast cancer?

3) If for e.g my grandmother had breast cancer, so Is it possible that I too have male breast cancer gene? And before taking Propecia will I have to test myself for breast cancer gene?

Answer
It is not considered standard practice to check for the breast cancer gene. The test is not readily available. When it is then perhaps we will start checking before prescribing Propecia.
 Check with your local oncologist for availability of the test.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>