Hair Loss/Hair loss

Question
Dear Mr. Panagotacos,

I have been using Regaine 5% solution for more than a year and my hair was rich and strong until now. Its been 3 months now, I am losing hair and in the last month I am losing too much hair every day. I lose hair in the bath, I find hair in the pillow and when I rub my hair with my fingers I can see hair in my hand. My hair has become too dry and it is not as before. Why is this happening and how can I overcome this problem? It can be noted that I used to live in Greece and now I am living in UK because at start I thought its the change in the water.

Answer
Many patients notice they have a shed of hair after a major move and then attribute it to the water. It is not the case. Hair growth proceeds at a steady 1 cm per month for about 4 to 6 years and then randomly .1% decide to stop growing and after a month to six weeks they fall out. At any one time there are about 10% of the hairs in this end stage - Catagen- Telogen before restarting from the same bulb in the Anagen phase. Stress from moving is the cause of the loss and it will eventually subside. In my book "Hair Loss Answers" (which can be read for free online) I discuss the causes of hair loss.

Chapter 4: Other Hair Loss Causes
http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-answers/chapter-4-other-hair-loss-causes/

What you have is referred to as a Telogen Effluvium. I am certain you will notice the shedding will subside in the next month or two. If you want to do something to help those hairs grow back I'd suggest Rogaine 5% Foam applied thinly twice a day to the front and top of your head.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>