Hair Loss/Isopropyl alcohol

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr Peter

Sir can I make a finasteride lotion by crushing and mixing proscar tablets in isopropyl rubbing alcohol 70%. Here is the link, please have a look:
http://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Rubbing-Alcohol-70-473ml/dp/B00127Y6CS

ANSWER: You could use 70% isopropyl alcohol or 70% ethanolfrom any source to dissolve the finasteride. It is easier to get isopropyle alcohol from most any corner drug store.

QUESTION: 1)Sir in a country where I live, I could not find  isopropyl alcohol. So i have just found it at the amazon, so the link which I did send you , is this 70% isopropyl Rubbing alcohol fine? here is the link

2) Sir if I take 60ml of 70% Isopropyl-Rubbing-Alcohol , so I shall dissolve in it 30mg proscar tablets (i.e 6 proscar 5mg tablets) in order to make a 0.05% finasteride lotion na?

ANSWER: Yes Isopropyl Alcohol from Amazon should work fine.

As I wrote before - ask your local pharmacist how much to grind up. This is a math problem.

QUESTION: Sir In a country where I live , here pharmacist are not so good. Generally to make a 0.05% finasteride lotion one needs to dissolve 5mg finasteride in 10ml  Isopropyl Alcohol 70% na? Correct?

Answer
1 gram = 1000 mg
1 gram in 100 ml = a 1% solution
.5 gm or 500 mg in 100 ml = .5%
.05 gm or 50 mg in 100 ml = 0.05%

So, you need ten 5 mg Finasteride tablets ground up and dissolved into 100 ml.

I would shake it to dissolve the finasteride and then let it sit overnight. Then filter out the filler material which will be a whitish sediment. You can use a paper coffee filter.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>