Hair Loss/Isopropyl rubbing alcohol 70%

Question
QUESTION: Dr Peter if Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% is used for making Finasteride 0.05% lotion, but won't it be too harsh on scalp? Or could it cause any negative side effect on hair and scalp?

ANSWER: Most men can tolerate a one ml application twice a day without irritation.

QUESTION: Sir if suppose I do not want to make Finasteride 0.05% lotion myself and want to compound it from a pharmacy so I shall say him that compound Finasteride 0.05% lotion in Isopropyl Alcohol or Ethanol base? Correct? Actually I live in Pakistan and here pharmacist are not so good so I will have to give them instructions.

Answer
Yes, most of the solutions are made using Ethanol, propylene glycol and water.
You can read the ingredient list of these topical lotions on the bottles or find the contents online. The alcohol percentage varies from one product to another but most have about 60% Ethanol , 20% Propylene Glycol, and 20 % water.
It is Propylene Glycol which cause most of the irritation from topical minoxidil use.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>