Hair Loss/Low Level Laser Therapy

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr Peter

Sir I have seen some studies which claims that LLLT is as effective as hairloss medications (such as finasteride and minoxidil) in stopping miniaturization and stimulating hair growth. Especially New research published in year (2014) in the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology supports this claim.
What are your views on it?

ANSWER: LLLTx does work to keep hairs growing and it has been reported to be as effective as 5% minoxidil. It is not as effectie as Finasteride in decreasing the aging process as it has little effect on DHT telling the hairs to grow old and die.
  On my website www.hairdoc.com I have one section devoted to LLLTx

www.hairdoc.com/llltx/

LLLT

“Low level laser therapy (LLLT) has been shown in thousands of patients as reported in peer-reviewed publications to increase cellular survival, proliferation and function. The light is absorbed by mitochondria and increases cellular respiration, and induces activation of transcription factors via reactive oxygen species. Controlled clinical trials have shown efficacy in treating stroke, stimulating wound healing, orthopedic conditions and relief of chronic inflammation. Preclinical studies have shown effectiveness in spinal cord injuries, peripheral nerve regeneration, heart attacks, degenerative brain diseases and traumatic brain injury.

Not surprisingly LLLT is able to stimulate and preserve hair follicles in patients with androgenetic alopecia and other hair loss disorders. A peer-reviewed study published in 2009 led to FDA clearance of a laser comb device for hair re-growth. The hair follicles cannot be “brought back from the dead” but significant improvement in hair density and quality can be achieved if treatment is started before hair loss has progressed too much. Preclinical studies using LLLT to stimulate ex vivo human follicles in culture and accelerate mouse hair re-growth have also been reported.”

QUESTION: 1) SO SIR IN YOUR OPINION IS HAIRMAX LASERCOMB AS EFFECTIVE AS 5% MINOXIDIL?

2) IN ORDER TO STOP THE PROGRESSION OF AGA WHY IS IT NECESSARY TO DECREASE SERUM DHT LEVELS? CAN'T OUR GOAL BE ACHIEVED BY ONLY DECREASING THE SCALP DHT WITH A CERTAIN TOPICAL DHT INHIBITOR LIKE FINASTERIDE LOTION?

3) DR ALEX KHADAVI AND THEIR TEAM CONDUCTED A CLINICAL STUDY IN WHICH THEY COMPARED 3 TOPICAL DHT INHIBITORS I.E FINASTERIDE LOTION, DUTASTERIDE LOTION AND REVIVOGEN LOTION. THE STUDY CONCLUDED THAT REVIVOGEN LOTION WAS SUPERIOR AMONG THE 3 IN DECREASING SCALP DHT. WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON IT? DO U BELIEVE THAT REVIVOGEN LOTION IS BETTER THAN  FINASTERIDE AND DUTASTERIDE LOTION IN DECREASING SCALP DHT?

ANSWER: 1) No, I do not believe HairMax to be as effective as 5% minoxidil. I do believe that using 200 plus diodes instead of the few used in the comb can work as well and that would have to be found in the LaserCap or the Capillus cap.

2)Trying to decrease the DHT getting to the hair follicle with just topical treatment can not stop the DHT in the bloodstream from getting to the hairs. About 1/3 of DHT is made in the hair follicles and the skin around it.

3) Although I think Revivogen is a good product and have it available for my patients the studies on DHT suppression done by Dr Khadavi have not been done by others to verify the reuslts and I do not believe the REVIVOGEN LOTION IS BETTER THAN  FINASTERIDE AND DUTASTERIDE LOTION IN DECREASING SCALP DHT.

QUESTION: SO SIR IF ONE CANNOT TAKE ORAL DHT BLOCKERS , AND HE IS JUST USING TOPICAL DHT BLOCKER LIKE FINASTERIDE LOTION, SO DOES IT MEAN THAT HE IS LOOSING HIS BATTLE AGAINST AGA DAY BY DAY?

Answer
Almost all men are losing the battle against AGA day by day and all the treatments we have are only helping delay the onset.
 I believe topical Dutasteride and Finasteide lotions to be superior to all the other available lotions I have seen in helping prevent AGA.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>