Hair Loss/Saw Palmetto Tablets

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr Peter

I have MPB and took finasteride 1mg tablet but suffered breast pain and therefore quit taking it. Also my grandmother had breast cancer , so it is also possible that maybe I too have male breast cancer gene. (as genes passed down) , but I have not been tested for male breast cancer gene ever. I read in some reports that those males who have male breast cancer gene and if they take finasteride tablet so there is increased risk of getting male breast cancer.
Here is the report:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956950/

I do not want to take any risk , so I was thinking to take saw palmetto tablets instead of Finasteride tablets. But my question is that can taking saw palmetto tablets also cause breast pain/gynecomastia or increase risk of male breast cancer in a person who already have male breast cancer gene?

ANSWER: The risk comes from decreasing the DHT so do not use anything that does that. Saw Palmetto doesn't lower your DHT very much and therefore doesn't work very well to help male pattern baldness.

QUESTION: 1) Sir would finasteride 0.05% lotion also cause breastpain/gynecomastia or increase risk of male breast cancer in a person who already have male breast cancer gene? Yes Or No?

2) Those who cannot take oral finasteride 1mg , so to such patients do you suggest to use finasteride 0.05% lotion to inhibit scalp dht and minoxidil 5% to stimulate growth?

Answer
1) There would not be enough Finasteride absorbed into the bloodstream to affect systemic DHT therefore it is not possible for topical finasteride 0.05% lotion to cause breastpain/gynecomastia or increase risk of male breast cancer in a person who already have male breast cancer gene.

2) Yes.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>