Hair Loss/Topical Finasteride

QUESTION: Hello Dr Panagotacos

Does topical finasteride absorbs into bloodstream and affect serum dht levels?

ANSWER: No. I have measured the serum DHT in patients using the topical lotion with Finasteride 0.05% and I did not find any significant decrease in the serum  levels,

QUESTION: 1)Dr Peter there has been a study in which they used a topical finasteride 0.25% lotion and found that it affects serum dht levels. U can read this study here:

2) If one wants to make 0.25% finasteride lotion then how many Proscar tablets does he need to crush and mix in 100ml isopropyl alcohol?

3)Can 0.25% Finasteride lotion increase male breast cancer risk in a person who already have a male breast cancer gene?

4)Can 0.25% Finasteride lotion could cause gynecomastia or breast pain ?

ANSWER: 1) Thank you for the link but I do not want to use a topical lotion which is so potent as to cause serum levels of finasteride to lower DHT systemically.

2). This is a math problem- you could ask your local pharmacist how to make it.

3) No one knows, but I doubt it.

4) No one knows, but I doubt it.

By the way-- the same blog link you sent had this to say about breast cancer in men on Finasteride or Dutasteride:

Dutasteride and Finasteride: New data suggests no Link with breast cancer in men

January 12, 2014
Dutasteride and Finasteride: Do they cause breast cancer?

Finasteride (Propecia) and dutasteride (Avodart) are prescribed for the treatment of male pattern baldness. Many of my male hair transplant patients receive finasteride or dutasteride in order to help reduce the progression of balding in existing hairs.  

Finasteride and dustasteride belong to a group of drugs called "5 alpha reductase inhibitors." They block the enzyme 5 alpha reductase and decrease the levels of the potent androgen hormone DHT (dihidrotestosterone). In addition to reducing DHT, the drugs increase the levels of estrogen slightly which has raised questions from physician and researchers around the world as to whether these drugs increase the risk of breast cancer in men.

US researchers set out to examine the relationship between the use of 5 alpha reductase inhibitors and male breast cancer. They studied men using the higher 5 mg dose of finasteride used in prostate enlargement (rather than the 1 mg dose used in hair loss) and the 0.5 mg dose of dutasteride.  They looked at the use of these drugs in 339 men with breast cancer and 6,780 men without breast cancer.
What were the findings and conclusions from the study?

The authors did not find an association between using 5 alpha reductase inhibitors and the development of breast cancer in men. Overall, the authors concluded that the "development of breast cancer should not influence the prescribing of 5 alpha reductase inhibitor therapy."

Bird ST et al. Male breast cancer and 5 alpha reductase inhibitors finasteride and dustasteride. J Urology; 190:1811-4

QUESTION: 1) Dr Peter I cannot take oral finasteride as I suffered breast pain by taking it. (Also my grandmother had breast cancer, so maybe I too have male breast cancer gene). Currently, I am using revivogen lotion and was thinking to use compounded finasteride lotion also. So sir what concentration of finasteride lotion would you recommend me for my male pattern baldness?

2) Sir suppose a person has MPB and then lost all his hairs because of it and then decided to start wearing hairsystem, so can such hairsystems be made which are very similar to his original actual hair and can he style his hairsystem in the same way as he used to style his original actual hairs?

1) I have already answered the question. I use a topical lotion with Finasteride 0.05% and that is what I suggest you use twice a day.

2) I suggest you use a "system" which has clips on the sides so that you can remove it to shampoo your scalp. "Hair systems"can be made with real human hair and look very natural. Contact a company which makes them.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website