Hair Loss/Shockloss after Hair transplant

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr Peter

If one is allergic to minoxidil and also cannot take oral Finasteride, and wants to have hair transplant surgery so what can be done in order to prevent shockloss of existing hair after hair transplant?

ANSWER: Hair Transplantation was done successfully for many years before finasteride was available and before we started to use minoxidil to prevent shock loss. You do not need either one to have a successful surgery.
Even if you noted there were some hairs which fell out due to "shock loss" don't worry about it. Those hairs are simply changing growth cycles and will be seen coming back our of the scalp and growing normally 3 months later.

QUESTION: Sir but I have lost just my hairline. And want to transplant hairline. Unfortunatly I could not take finasteride and minoxidil. I am just using self made Finasteride lotion 0.05%. So do I need to worry about shockloss in existing hair after hair transplant?

Answer
I am trying to explain to you that "shockloss" has not been a problem until some doctors began putting too many hairs too close together.
If you have lost just your hairline, and want to transplant just the hairline there should be no shockloss. You do not need to use anything to prevent shock loss if you are only doing a few transplants into the area .

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>