Hair Loss/avodart

Question
QUESTION: Dr. Panagotacos,
according to your older posts you have said based on your experience in your clinic,  you've seen roughly the same results as the 10 year finasteride studies (85% of users have roughly the same amount of hair after 10 years). what would be the numbers for avodart users?

Secondly, how much time would you recommend someone try avodart for before deciding if they are a responder to the drug or not?

ANSWER: Avodart taken daily lowers DHT by 90% whereas 1mg Finasteride lowers it 66%. I only put patients with extensive patterns of inherited baldness on Avodart therefore there are no equal comparisons which can be made. In my office nearly 90% of men on Avodart stop losing hair.

Everyone responds both to Finasteride and to Avodart. There is no category of non-responder. The problem is that very extensive inherited patterns of balding can not completely be stopped by lowering DHT by even 90%. There are women who have inherited extensive balding genes who get very thin even shiny bald on top from only a very small amount of DHT. The same is true of their brothers who are on Avodart. This may be true for only 1 or 2 % of the population but that is still a significant number.
Answer to question number two is to stay on it forever.

QUESTION: Thank you doctor. What do you think about generic dutasteride from India such as dr. Reddy's Dutas? Do you have patients using generic dutasteride? I ask because my avodart prescription is not covered by my insurance and it ccosts me upwards of $150 for 30 pills

Answer
I don't blame you for looking elsewhere especially since Dr Reddy's Dutas sells for only $1 per pill when purchased in quantities of 180 or more.
 Ten years ago I measured the DHT levels on a few of my patients who had been on Avodart and then switched to Dutas. The levels remained the same.
 There is still a patent on Avodart in the US so the method and manner in which you should obtain yours is not something I care to discuss in a public forum.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>