Hair Loss/Hair loss in men

Hi my son who is 39 has always had a thick head of hair.  In the last year he has thinning on the crown which seems to be getting progressively worse.  Of course he is not happy about it and wants to try a laser cap.  I have read mostly negative views but he said he has seen some positive things about it.  I think he should just have a regular procedure if it bothers him that much.  I don't want to see him waste his money.  What is your opinion of the laser cap?  Thank you for your time.

There are several issues involved in answering your question. First, I believe the best way to treat male pattern baldness is with daily 1mg Finasteide, Propecia. I personally have taken it for 23 years and started my 28 year old on the same medication when he turned 20.
 I was not convinced LLLTx worked mainly because most of the units I saw had only a few diodes and produced too little energy to work.  I heard a lecture from Dr Hamblin in 2008 at an international meeting and that changed my mind about the effectiveness of LLLT and I began to carry LaserCaps in my office. You can read about the two most effective hats available at my webiste  --
Low level laser therapy (LLLT) has been shown in thousands of patients as reported in peer-reviewed publications to increase cellular survival, proliferation and function. The light is absorbed by mitochondria and increases cellular respiration, and induces activation of transcription factors via reactive oxygen species. Controlled clinical trials have shown efficacy in treating stroke, stimulating wound healing, orthopedic conditions and relief of chronic inflammation. Preclinical studies have shown effectiveness in spinal cord injuries, peripheral nerve regeneration, heart attacks, degenerative brain diseases and traumatic brain injury.

Not surprisingly LLLT is able to stimulate and preserve hair follicles in patients with androgenetic alopecia and other hair loss disorders. A peer-reviewed study published in 2009 led to FDA clearance of a laser comb device for hair re-growth. The hair follicles cannot be “brought back from the dead” but significant improvement in hair density and quality can be achieved if treatment is started before hair loss has progressed too much. Preclinical studies using LLLT to stimulate ex vivo human follicles in culture and accelerate mouse hair re-growth have also been reported.

Michael R. Hamblin

Department of Dermatology, Harvard Medical School, BAR 414

Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital

40 Blossom Street, Boston MA 02114

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery.

I have 30 years experience in the field of medical and surgical Hair Restoration and am Board Certified in Dermatology and Hair Restoration Surgery. More information can be found at my website