Hair Loss/Inexplicable Hair Shedding

Question
Background:
I am 25 year old male with no family history of male pattern baldness (MPB).  Although some of my older male relatives have lost hair over time (receding hairline and hair thinning on the crown), none has experienced balding in their mid-20's. Up until my hair shedding began, I had always had very thick hair that grew rather quickly (in comparison to other males my age).

My hairline has shown very little or no recession. Very little hair grows on my face, chest, or back. Also, I have not experienced any stress in the past year.

Story:
My story begins two and half months ago when I started to notice hair shedding in the shower. I'd see dozens of entire follicles clinging to my hand whenever I ran my hand through hair. It was noticeably more hair than had ever fallen. The hair that shed did not appear to be thin, discolored, or unhealthy.  Immediately, I was concerned because it was so anomalous.

I monitored the situation for a month, and as the shedding steadily persisted, I resolved to see a doctor (a generalist). By the time I saw a doctor, I had noticeably thinner hair. It was obviously not as thick as it had been only 40 days prior (when symptoms first began). He ordered a blood test to test for thyroid, autoimmune, and nutritional irregularities. The results indicated that I was perfectly healthy and the culprit was likely unrelated to the aforementioned causes.  After I told him that I was also suffering from dandruff, he suggested I start using T-Gel shampoo to see if the issue could be resolved this way.  

Flash forward to today, after four weeks of T-Gel use, I am still experiencing hair shedding. As mentioned, I once had very thick hair and in only 75 days (approx.), my hair is noticeably thinner and my scalp is now visible at times.  If the current rate of hair loss continues through the end of the year 2015, I will have gone from having above average hair density to a situation where I am showing much of my scalp.

Now, while I am willing to accept the possibility that I am just the unlucky male in my family to have MPB, I am still hesitant to accept it for two main reasons:

1. I can see newly grown hairs sprouting on my head.  They do not appear irregular in thickness, color, or shape.  Also, the remaining hairs that never shed are ostensibly healthy, thick, and growing at a normal rate.  

2. My hair thinning has occurred more rapidly than I would have expected if I was simply going bald.  In only 2.5 months I have lost more than 50 percent (estimation) of my hair density. (It is outpacing any of the new hair growth I have seen).  

Bottom Line:
I suppose the simplest answer is that I have a variation of MPB that is different than the typical experience. But I wanted to see if anyone with more knowledge than me recognized my hair shedding pattern as representative of something else. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. You must understand how distressing this is.

Answer
This seems to be too much loss too quickly to be normal MPB. I would first see a dermatologist to make sure you are not experiencing a form of Alopecia Areata or other hair malady. If in fact at the time of the visit you are experiencing shedding as noted during a "hair pull" test done by the dermatologist then perhaps a biopsy is in order. Generally an illness which is capable of causing this degree of shedding (called a Telogen Effluvium) , is severe enough that you will feel ill.  Skin conditions such as Psoriasis or Seborrheic Dermatitis may flare at times of stress but they do not cause shedding of this kind.
  I describe a case in my book "Hair Loss Answers" Chapter 4   http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-answers/chapter-4-other-hair-loss-causes/
of a man with repeated episodes of TE due to malarial leading to total baldness in one year. He knew he was sick.  The entire book can be read online.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>