Hair Loss/Minoxidil side effects

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I have heard that Minoxidil can cause dark circles/wrinkles and bloated face. Does this happen because of applying it at night and getting it over your face from pillows?  I want to try Kirkland Minoxidil to slow down my hairloss on my hair line but don't want it to age my face.  Thanks

ANSWER: I have never had a patient get the side effects you mention and I have been making minoxidil solutions since 1979-- 9 years before Rogaine came to market.  If you apply the lotion at least 20 minutes before lying down in bed it will be adequately dry and you should not have to worry about it getting on sheets or pillows.

QUESTION: Ok thank you. One last question.  I know that minoxidol is not meant for receding hairline but do you think it worth a shot?  Thanks again.

Answer
Yes, you can use it in front. It is meant for ailing weak hairs anywhere. The studies done for FDA approval were done on the crown of the head. Once it was approved the FDA said Upjohn could not claim it works in front although we all knew it did but not as well as it does on the hairs in back.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>