Hair Loss/Finasteride + Minoxidil Not Working

Question
Doc,

I've been on finasteride and minoxidil for 2 years and see my hair still getting thinner, hairline going up a bit (on the temples as well) and wanted to see what you typically do in that sort of situation. Only 24 years old at the moment but there is a bit of history of hairloss in the family and it is definitely getting worse over time. Is hair transplants the next move?

Thanks

Gauri

Answer
For most of my patients the next step is to lower the DHT from 66% to 72% reduction by taking a 5mg Finasteride daily instead of the Propecia dose of 1mg daily. Then after a month or so I usually add a dutasteride once a week for the first month and then twice a week for four months and evaluate. It may bee that you would eventually need to take dutasteride every other day in addition to your Finasteride. I do have topical lotions which block DHT at the hair follicle but those are for patients I have seen in my office.
 Low level laser light treatment may make the hairs a bit stronger as well but I would strongly advise lowering the DHT as the main thrust of your treatment. http://www.hairdoc.com/llltx/

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>