Hair Loss/HAIR LOSS

Question
hello doctor
Hello doctor
Hope you are doing fine...
I am a 40 years old lady and always had thick densed hair.
But since july'14 I suddenly started losing hair. I was devastated when doctor said it Will take 3-4 months to stop... I was losing 100+ hair.I got my blood test done and my DHT and dhea was high. So doctor gave me fincar 5 mg daily and aldactone 50 mg twice daily. After 3/4 months hair fall reduced to some extent but never came to normal. But I was feeling little better.. my hair fall from December'14 till march'15 was arlound 50/60 on average with little fluctuation on and off. though 11 months back i used to lose just 20/30 hair a day.

In my march'15 report DHT, testetrone and dhea all was normal so doctor asked me to reduce aldactone to 25 mg twice daily and take dutas. 5 daily...

But after reducing aldactone my hair fall increased again... SO I STARTED TAKING ALDACTONE 50 MG TWICE A DAY AND DUTAS DAILY

BUT SINCE  26th JUNE 2015 my hair fall again  100+ on hair wash days

LAST 45 DAYS even non hair wash days i am losing 100 hair.
I am so devastated and can't stop crying...

Read your article so felt like seeking your help..
PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS CHRONIC TELOGEN, WILL ALL MY HAIR REGROW OR THEY ARE FALLING PERMANENTLY?
I ALSO LOSE TINY HAIR WITH ROOTS, IS IT ALARMING?
IS DUTAS AND ALDACTONE CAUSING HAIR FALL? I AM USING NEUTRIDERM LOTION FOR LAST ONE YEAR

I GOT MYSELF CHECKED ...I HAVE NO THYROID, NO PCO, NO OTHER ILLNESS...

PLEASE HELP

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

THANKS A TON

Answer
It is important to determine what type of hair loss you are experiencing. The information you provided (high DHT..), and the medications prescribed (anti-androgens) suggests androgenetic alopecia.  With androgenetic alopecia the hairs (mostly on top/center) of head slowly become thinner and thinner, providing less scalp coverage. This is a slow, progressive process. It does not happen suddenly.  Excessive shedding as you describe is a characteristic of chronic telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium does not cause permanent hair loss. The fallen hairs are replaced with new growing hairs. Even the new hairs can fall out prematurely with chronic telogen effluvium, which could account for the smaller hairs with roots you are seeing. If you have any areas of complete hair loss (areas of baldness) you may be experiencing a different type of hair loss. The diagnosis is most important at this time. Did your physician give you any type of diagnosis?
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig