Hair Loss/TE

Question
Hello

DR PETER, CAN LOCAL ANETHESIA CAUSE TE?

Answer
Yes, but it is not the anesthetic but rather the epinephrine which is added to most bottles of Lidocaine in the concentration of 1:50,000.
The Epinephrine acts to constrict blood vessels keeping the anesthetic around longer and decreasing bleeding during surgery. The vasoconstriction can decrease blood supply to the hairs enough to deprive them of oxygen needed for normal growth. When the hairs are deprived of enough oxygen they change life cycles and start over again which is seen as a Telogen Effluvium.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>