Hair Loss/What if it's not Male Pattern Baldness?

Question
Hi there,

I'm only 20 years old and in excellent health and have no history of hair loss in the family until you're about 50. I've been getting treated for male pattern baldness but recently my eyebrows, armpit hair and even my pubic hair have become very brittle and will fall out easily. Is there anything else besides male pattern baldness which is causing my hair to fall out?

Answer
Ben,

This is a bit more complicated than male pattern baldness and I would strongly recommend you consult with a dermatologist and perhaps get a referral to a university dermatology department hair clinic. Diffuse thinning of all your body hairs may indicate you have "Hypothyroidism" or even a diffuse form of Alopecia Areata (very rare). It could be heavy metal poisoning-( lead-thallium-etc).
 A dermatologist should be able to start you out with a general exam , perhaps a biopsy and blood tests and from there you may need to see an endocrinologist.  

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>