Hair Loss/I want to quit Minoxidil

Question
Hi doctor , I've been using minoxidil for more than 2 years now , and I had my ups and downs , sometimes it grows and sometimes it doesn't because of a mistake on the dose's schedule , I am 19 now and I am suffering , minoxidil did grow my hair but it makes it look unhealthy and dirty in somehow , and it doesn't always look thick , due to the changes in the schedule , so I am 19 and my hair look most of the time thin and unhealthy and it kills me , I need a solution , I am using minoxidil 2 times per day , can I quit it without getting bald ? can I at least use it for 1 time per day ?

Thank you .

Answer
If you stop the minoxidil, all the hair that regrew will now fall out and you will have more hair loss.  You can drop down to using the minoxidil once a day and see what happens but if the hair stops growing or falls out you would need to go back to twice a day.  You may be ant to try the oral medication called Propecia. You take one pill a day. It is usually more effective than minoxidil.

Hair Loss

Michael S. Fisher, <B>Ph.D., M.D.</B>