Hair Loss/8 yr old hair braiding

My family recently travelled down South and my 8 year old daughter had a full head of braids done.  She had them in for 2 weeks and when we took them out this past Thursday I was shocked to see how much hair fell out.  She has thin hair to begin with and I was in total shock to see this as we have never done braids before.  I have spoken to her hair dresser who says the large amounts of hair that initially fell is normal since she had the braids in for 2 weeks.

It's been 3 days since we took the braids out and I am trying not to panic...but I am in a panic.  Her hair seems to still be falling.  It's not severe but I am noticing some hair on the floor and on her back.  Do you feel this is normal?  How long will her hair continue to fall?  At what point do I worry and what can I do to help strengthen her hair in the meantime.

Distressed Mom wishing we had never done braids."

Hi Diane,

I have heard this too many times over the years.  It is common to see accelerated hair loss from braiding, pony tails, etc.  Continue the regular washing as normal.  It may take up to 2 weeks to notice things reverting back to normal.  

Good Luck

Hair Loss

John Nikolaou

Questions Pertaining to Hair Loss; Hair Growth Rates; Unwanted Hair and most Hair related issues, for both men and women. Issues that pertain to causes, possible solutions, etc.

Over 20 years in the Study, Manufacture and Marketing of Non Drug/non medicinal or procedural Solutions to Hair Related issues.

President of Nisim International. Over 2 decades of working with many Top Tier Researchers and Scientists in developing some of the World's most effective and Safe Products for Hair.

Well known Hair Care Brands sold in over 40 Countries World Wide, both Professionally and at Retail.