Hair Loss/Aga?

Question
QUESTION: I had a lot of shedding everywhere 2 months ago but now it stopped.excrpt One spot on the side of my crown. (Like 3 o clock). My overwll crown is not shedding like crazy anymore. Like 8-11 pieces of hair now . but the spot on my head looks like its thinning. Sometimes it looks full and sometimes it doesn't. When iTS full I think that hair is growing back where it shedded. However if I wear the hood of a hoodie and it flattens my hair, it looks like I'm thinningand losing hair on that spot. Hairline is okay, but sides are thin. When I put shampoo on I see 8-11 hair falling from the crown only along with very very thin hair almost Invisible like. 3-4 hair brekagae is seen and some split ends on the hair that fell. Is this

ANSWER: It sounds as if you had a shed due to some stress 3 to 4 months ago. Hairs stop growing when stressed and then migrated up and fall out 4 to 6 weeks after the stress. It takes another 2 months for them to begin growing new hairs which can be seen, Growth is at 1/2 inch per month so you should not expect to see increased density from regrowth of lost hairs for another 3 or 4 months. In the meantime you could apply 5% minoxidil lotion twice a day to the spot to speed up the regrowth of the lost hairs. Normal loss is 50 to 100 hairs per day so don't get fixated on a small thinned out area which is not always visible.

QUESTION: at work when i look at the mirror (looking at the crown)i see a MAJOR balding spot like i can see the scalp no problem. but at home i look at the mirror and it looks like a normal vertex but maybe thinning. since you said i have stress shedding for only 1 month, is that enough time for it to turn into mpb? my greatest fear is that i have it. but sometimes i look at the spot, it looks like its getting thicker, but then sometimes idk. how long do i have to wait till i know my hair is regrowing back or not? the front of my head is thick like normal, but its just the middle of the crown and some parts of my sides. will my crown hair regrow?

ANSWER: The simples solution to your problem is to apply Romaine foam twice a day to the thin spot. In four to five months it should start looking thicker. Take a photo now so you have a baseline to compare in a few months.

1
1  

2
2  
QUESTION: Ok here's a photo.

Answer
There seems to be slight thinning on the crown where you have a cowlick. This is early male pattern baldness showing up on the crown. Keep a record of your photos today and four months from now after using Rogaine Foam twice a day to make the area thicker.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>