Hair Loss/Bald patches

QUESTION: Good morning,
My question is... how do you know if your follicles are damaged/beyond repair?  I have a lot of hair that's growing pretty fast, but I have bald patches on top and at the nape of my neck that don't seem to get better no matter what I do.  I'm thankful I have enough hair to cover them up, but that may not last long at this rate.  

Signed, Getting Scared.

ANSWER: Hello C. The first thing is to identify what type of hair loss you are experiencing. Have you had your bald patches diagnosed? The most common type of hair loss that causes smooth round bald patches is alopecia areata. Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder. Alopecia areata does not cause follicle damage.  Are your bald patches growing in size or number of patches? Have you had any regrowth?
There are other types of hair that can cause bald patches.
Please send me more information on your condition and diagnosis (if you have one) so I may help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

QUESTION: Hi and thanks for the response. The areas seem to be growing slowly and no I don't see any regrowth. I've gone to the doctor but the only answer I got is that it might be stress related. But no real resolution to the problem.

I guess I need to go back to the doctor but not really sure who would be best at diagnosis.

Thank you again.

ANSWER: Hello C: Can you please tell me how long you've had bald patches. Did they appear suddenly? How many do you have? Are they smooth, round patches with well-defined margins? Do you notice any excessive shedding? Do you have any health conditions, food or environmental allergies, autoimmune disorders etc?
Sincerely, Melanie V

QUESTION: No they didn't not appear suddenly. It's taken about a year plus to get to this point.  The one at to nape of my neck is smoothe and defined. The rest are not... Those appear to be large thinning areas. Yes I have high blood pressure and have environmental allergies (which I take a shot for every month). I was wondering if perhaps I do have an autoimmune disorder.

Hello C: The spot at the nape of your neck sounds like alopecia areata. The nape of neck is very common spot for alopecia areata to appear. The fact that it is smooth and well-defined also indicates a high probability of alopecia areata. Once you get a diagnosis please let me know so I may help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie V

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.