Hair Loss/Daily Hair Loss - On meds

Question
Hi Doctor. I understand that normal daily hair loss is usually between 50-100 hairs--does that number account for the entire head (such as the tougher to lose sides and back scalp)? I seem to lose about 65-70 hairs a day JUST ON THE TOP part of my scalp, the scary mpb area, so is that a bad HIGH average since it's just  the top? I'm guessing these hairs are not growing back since I am noticing thinning up there.  Also, if on Propecia, what is the normal daily hair loss once you are on the medication?  Even after a year, what is the normal daily hair loss on it? Does it halt hair daily hair loss to minimal numbers?  THANKS!!!

Answer
Hairs are lost throughout the scalp normally in an even distribution. When male pattern baldness becomes obvious it is seen usually as a slight increase in the areas which eventually do not regrow the hairs after falling out. It is not so much as more hair falling out as the fact they do not grow back.
 When on Propecia the hairs increase in diameter and grow longer because they are not being told to shrivel up and die. After a few months the loss may be the same as normal loss of 50 to 100 but the difference is the hairs will grow back.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>