Hair Loss/hair loss

Question
Hello, ive been experiencing hair loss on the back of my head and the sides of my head. some parts of the crown are thinning as well/ i had a stressful experience like 8 months back. could the stress and the spreading of thinning hair be related or is it some underlying disease?

Answer
Yes it could be due to some illness such as a thyroid condition.  It may be that you had a reaction stress 6 to 8 months ago causing a Telogen Effluvium-
  That is discussed in the section on STRESS in my book "Hair Loss Answers" "Chapter 4 Other Causes of Hair Loss" I have listed various causes.
     http://www.hairdoc.com/book/Chapter_04_hair_loss_answers.pdf
 You can read the book for free online by clicking on the book on my website  www.hairdoc.com

Chapter 4: Other Hair Loss Causes

The most common type of hair loss occurs in a predicable pattern, and pattern hair loss occurs when the normal cycle of hair growth changes. Usually pattern hair loss starts slowly, and continues to get progressively worse. Progressive pattern hair loss is a common occurrence among men, and less apparent but still quite common among women. While men typically suffer pattern baldness with receding hairlines and bald spots on the crown of the head, women typically experience generalized thinning hair over the entire top of the head. And as we age, the occurrence and degree of hair loss increases.
A wide range of factors other than genetics can result in hair loss, and many of these conditions are temporary and can be effectively treated by a dermatologist. Diffuse non-scarring loss is usually androgenetic alopecia in men and women but can include telogen effluvium, and systemic diseases such as thyroid, iron deficiency, dermatomitis. Patchy scarring loss can be due to follimlites (bacterial infection of the hairs), lichen planolaris and discird lupus. Patchy non-scarring alopecia can be due to ringworm, trichotillomania, traction alopecia, and syphilis. Hair loss causes that are not based on genetics are discussed in this chapter, including the following:

Autoimmune disorders
Diseases
Nutritional deficiencies
Poisons
Prescription drugs
Chemotherapy drugs
Radiation exposure
Stress
Physical trauma to the scalp
Hair loss following childbirth
Psychological
Hair styling techniques
Hair styling products

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>