Hair Loss/Please help I'm struggling

Question
Scalp
Scalp  
For the past year I have seen many doctors and I still have no answers exept that it's stress related. I believe this is fungal however I have been treated with Doxcycline and steroid shots which didn't help. I'm desperate!! I can't hide my huge bald spots with oozing crusty scalp. It's taken control of my life I am so ashamed  my spots itch so very bad it feels like poison ivy I try so hard not to scratch but I do break down at times. Please please help me egg my life back I have and 3 year old and 2 year old that need me to be there happy momma;-)

Answer
Hello Stephanie: You've seen many doctors. Have any of them given you a diagnosis of what type of hair loss you are experiencing. They are telling you it is stress-related meaning that stress may be the cause or a contributing factor but we still need to know what the diagnosis is. The most common type of hair loss that causes round bald patches is alopecia areata. With alopecia areata the skin is smooth, not inflamed, crusty, itchy, oozing as you describe. It is impossible to know what condition you have just by looking at a photo, but it is extremely important to know. There are many possibilities including folliculitis, psoriatic alopecia, and many more. The irritated, itchy lesions indicate something other than a simple hair loss disorder caused by stress. How many of these lesions do you have? Are they progressing? Have any of the lesions changed or healed over time? Do you have any health conditions, other skin conditions, autoimmune disorder, etc.  Are you on any medications?
Please send me more information if you'd like me to try to help you further.
Sincerely, Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig