Hair Loss/Shampoo thoughts

Question
Hi Dr. You've helped me before with advice (I started 1mg finasteride for hair thinning in my hairline 2 1/2 weeks ago thanks to your high recommendation of the drug). Anyway, I've been using Nioxin shampoo for thinning hair for about 2 months now and I although it claims to help thicken hair, I've noticed the thin spot in front hairline is FULL of white flaky stuff and even the skin can be a bit red at times (I can see scalp through the hair in this one spot unfortunately so I know when something is there). Do you recommend a better shampoo or is Nioxin pretty well respected? I used to use the Head and Shoulders two in one Dandruff Shampoo/Conditioner months ago (before I noticed the thinning spot) but I keep reading reviews about how the ingredients can cause men to increase shedding and hair loss, especially for those with mpb. I appreciate your advice on this.  Also, have you seen people experience regrowth in front thin spots after using Finasteride?  -alex :)

Answer
The scaliness you describe may be due to Seborrheic Dermatitis or it may be due to an irritation from the use of a minoxidil solution that has propylene glycol in it. If you use minoxidil I suggest you use Rogaine Foam which has no propylene glycol.
 I recommend DHS Zinc Shampoo with 2% zinc pyrithione. Head and Shoulders two in one has 1% ZnP. It does not cause shedding.
I have seen increased density in the front of the scalp after using 1mg Finasteride in as little as four months.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>