Hair Loss/Beard not growing.

Question
I am 23 year old Indian male & unable to grow beard. Should I start taking biotin? If yes, in what amount per day?

I have little or no mustache and some patchy hairs below chin area. I just started eating non vegetarian food and found that my mustache grows little faster than previously it was. Is it because of lack of protein? On internet it is recommended to take Biotin capsules. In how much amount I should take Biotin capsules and from which company? On internet it is suggested to take 35 mcg per day for person 18 and above, but on all commercial biotin is coming in 1000 mcg, 5000 mcg and 10,000 mcg then how should I decide which one to chose and from which company?

Thank you so much.

Answer
It is exceedingly rare to have a Biotin deficiency. I mention nutritional causes of loss in my book "Hair Loss Answers"which can be read for free online here:  http://www.hairdoc.com/hair-loss-answers/

The lack of growth is most likely due to something else. The only biotin deficiency proven to have caused hair loss was either by people who ate a lot of raw egg whites in milkshakes or in patients being fed by IVs in hospitals as noted below. Raw egg whites contain avidin,a substance which prevents absorption of biotin.
I suggest you do not waste your time and money on these supplements.

In Chapter 4  page 29:   http://www.hairdoc.com/book/Chapter_04_hair_loss_answers.pdf

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a study of two adult hospital patients who were unable to use their intestines to digest food. The patients were fed intravenously a diet that happened to be deficient in the B-complex vitamin biotin. Biotin deficiency is extremely rare because in addition to being present in many types of food, it is also manufactured by the friendly bacteria that live in normal intestines. Because these patients had inactive intestines, their intestinal bacteria did not produce adequate biotin, and they suffered hair loss as a result. When biotin was added to the intravenous diet, hair growth resumed.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>