Hair Loss/type of sesame oil to darken hair

Dear Melanie

I have been using the juice from a fresh ginger root to help grow back some of my hair on the top part of my head.  With repeated use, ginger root will lighten my hair.  I get my hair colored 3 to 4 times a year to cover the gray.  My hair is dark brown.
A lady on youtube mentioned you can use seasame oil to darken your hair.

Which type of seasame oil do you recommend I purchase and is it ok to use a small amount mixed in with the juice from the ginger root to apply to my hair?

Last night  I brushed the ginger root juice mainly on my scalp and anywhere on the top of my head I am losing hair.

I called an organic food store and she asked a lady there and she thinks the bio organics toasted seasame seed oil would be fine to use mixed in with the ginger root juice to apply to the top part of my head and scalp but was not sure.  She said to try the internet.  I feel better asking a hair expert.

I'm not sure if the best way to use seasame oil to darken hair is to only brush the oil to the scalp and crown or it may work better to darken hair by mixing a small amount in with the fresh juice of a ginger root and apply to the scalp and crown.

Thank you for your expert advice.

Hello Jeff: When using sesame oil for hair it should be extracted from the untoasted sesame seed. Look for organic, virgin, cold-pressed, hexane free, etc. . It is fine to mix the ginger root with the sesame oil. Sesame oil is prone to rancidity so you may want to store it in the refrigerator. You may also want to look into consuming black sesame seeds for darkening the hair.  In Traditional Chinese medicine the black sesame seed is considered superior for many healing purposes including hair growth and darkening. If you decide to give it a try, I would suggest only using organic black sesame seeds.
Sincerely, Melanie V

Hair Loss

Melanie Vonzabuesnig

Female hair loss is my main focus. Women today are very susceptible to several types of hair loss including telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, and androgenetic alopecia. I can answer questions about the causes and types of female hair loss. I can share information about natural holistic remedies to improve female hair loss conditions.

My interest in female hair loss sprung from my own experience with extensive hair loss. Determined to grow my hair back, I diligently studied every piece of information I could find on the biology of hair growth. After successfully re-growing my hair with safe and effective natural products, I felt compelled to learn more and to share this information with other women. I am experienced in blending custom hair loss formulas. I am also experienced in writing about female hair loss issues.

My hair loss information has been included in The Truth about Womens Hair Loss by Spencer Kobren, Naturally Healthy Skin by Stephanie Tourles, Alternative Healing by Bill Gottleib and Natural Health Magazine. I am the author of several books on hair loss.

I am a certified aromatherapist specializing in formulas for scalp and hair conditions.