Hair Loss/Dht results on finasteride

Question
Dr. Panagotacos,
I've been on finasteride for 10+ years and I am a 31 year old male. My vertex is ok but my hairline continues to recede. I finally took a dht test to see what kind of an effect finasteride has on me. My results were 18 ng/dL and the reference range is 30-85 ng/dL. Even though this is considered low I would think it would be less considering I take 5mg per day. Can I get your thoughts on this please?

Answer
1mg finasteride lowers you DHT by 66%.

5 mg Finasteride lowers it 72%   

Male Pattern Baldness is stopped in 85% of men taking 1mg Finasteride but as in you case there is a limit to what it can do and after 8 to 10 years most men begin to see a gradual thinning.  The degree of hair loss is a product of the amount of balding genes times the amount of DHT getting to the hairs to express the balding pattern.  The more you can lower the DHT the better off you are in preventing ongoing recession. It may be that you will need to eventually have to take Dutasteride ( Avodart )  to get the results you want. Dutasteride taken every other day will lower your DHT 80% and daily it will lower it 90%. I have patients who take Dutasteride daily get their DHT below 6.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>