Hair Loss/Bulbs - hair loss

Question
Hi Dr. Panagotacos. I'm on finasteride (1mg) and I'm easily losing hairline hairs with tiny black bulbs attached to them--is there any difference between white bulbs and black? I simply touch my hairline and a hair flutters down with a very very tiny black bulb attached. Do the black bulbs mean anything, like lost hairs forever?  Hairline is still disappearing.

Answer
Even on finasteride your hairs will continue to have growth cycles with hairs transitioning from anagen to contagion and finally telogen only to start over again in the anagen phase. When the hairs get to their last life cycles and become fine miniaturized hairs destined to only grow for a short time the pigment also become less and you may find the hair bulb looking whitish. Black bulbs are normal - they may have some white outer covering from the root sheath which looks white.

Hair Loss

Peter J. Panagotacos, <B>M.D.</B>