Hairstyling/Waxy hair at the crown

Eva wrote at 2009-02-05 02:34:38
Julie,

I agree with you that it is hormonal.  I got the same wax feel on the crown of my head after my 2nd daughter.  I am currently getting that wax feeling again and 5 months pregnant.  I unfortunately don't have an answer yet but wanted to let you know your not alone.

rileylove wrote at 2009-02-21 04:47:04
Hi there, exactily the same thing happened to me about 3 years ago.  I thought it was the new gel I'd bought and threw it out. It took weeks to eventually 'wash' out. It was as if the whole top part of my hair was coated in a waxy kind of dryish stickyish film- it looked oily but wasn't!The shampoo I was using at the time was one I'd had before but was a slightly more expensive brand. It was only after I changed the brand that it all went away. About a year later I used my sons shampoo which was the same brand and I immediatly felt that waxy feeling again. I am putting it down to a dodgy batch with maybe too much essential oils in it or something. Reallly bizzaar though...

Mary Jane wrote at 2009-02-22 04:07:53
Hi Julie,

You are not alone - I have had the same exact problem (thank you, by the way, for describing it so perfectly) with waxy hair.  Within the past 6 years I have experienced "waxy head" four times, and each time it lasts about 10 days or so.  Currently, I am on day 5 of the most recent occurrence, and am desperate to find a cause.  Believe me, it is NOT topical - I have tried every possible solution and nothing topical seems to correct it.  It must be hormonal, but exactly which hormone and what seems to cure it is unknown.  I've been to the doctor and no answers, but, I have had a new symptom (when my hair gets wet in the shower, there's an overwhelming smell of ammonia) and am going to request full blood work in the hopes of closing in on the cause.  Please keep me posted if you discover any clues!

Thanks, and good luck...

Mary Jane

Georgia wrote at 2009-03-25 20:01:35
It's amazing how many people are describing this same condition, but there's no solid answer on what causes it or what will get rid of it!  I started getting this when I got pregnant and now get it intermittently, for a month or two at a time.  I try switching shampoos/conditioners, washing less, washing more, anti-residue shampoo, etc.  It's very frustrating.  About the only thing that helps temporarily is spraying my wet hair with hair spray or mousse before I blow dry it.

tina wrote at 2009-06-26 03:44:21
I am looking for an answer to the SAME question as above!!! I do not think that the answer given is what I am looking for, I take no meds, I changed nothing with my routine. I do not think it's hormonal because it does not change with any certain part of the month , it's been there ever since it has been there, if that makes sense. It was tehre one day (can't pin point a day) and it's been there ever since with NOTHING helping!

staciep wrote at 2009-08-16 20:05:50
Waxy hair is happening to me as well. I have had  5 bouts with it in the past 2 years. I do not know what it is, or how to get rid of it.I do not believe it is topical.Although it could be hormonal. Twice it has happened, however when I used a really good hydrating conditioner...but the other times, I cannot think of anything different I did. I wish someone could find a fix... It really is maddening! No matter what I do it will not go away for days...can't wash it out, can't add conditioner to get rid of, no vinegar, no lemon juice,no dawn, washed bedding (pillow cases), nothing works.

Kathryn wrote at 2009-08-29 05:12:59
The same thing happens to me intermittently... it is so irritating!  My hair just looks gross during these wax "outbreaks."  I'm not doing anything different, no different products, no change in water source or chemicals - it's just a waxy build up all around the crown of my head.  The first time this happened to me I tried everything from rubbing alcohol to straight dawn, and nothing could cut through the "grease."  Finally, out of desperation I tried a topical adhesive remover for pet bandages (sold from an online dog grooming supply company), and that did the trick!  Since then, it looks like the adhesive remover has been discontinued - I can't find it anywhere.  Now that the buildup is back and my remover is gone, I tried some spray on "goo gone" from the hardware store.  That seemed to cut through the wax a bit, but not 100%.  I'm also not sure it's entirely safe... but anything's better than having greasy waxy hair right out of the shower!

Goober and Gooberette wrote at 2009-09-19 19:47:26
My girlfriend has the same thing and after a long exhausting search of the Internet we came up with nothing. Everyone that has answered kept saying that it was something that was coming from an outside source instead of internal. She like a lot of others uses minimal hair products (I.E. Shampoo and Conditioner) and works in a hospital (sterile environment). I suggested that she try to wash her hair with dish soap (liquid dawn or something you would use to hand wash pots and pans with) and it was about 95% effective the first wash. She stated that she had to wash and rise twice though and on the second round she left the soap sit for a few min. We thought we should post this after reading so that it may help others.

sam wrote at 2009-10-09 02:45:35
ive got the same thing guys. its weird. not smelly or anything. it was just there one day. i thought i didnt wash the conditioner out of my hair good enough. my health is pretty much deteriorating day by day and its just one more thing. i went to acupuncture and asked about it and he said it could have to do with my spleen or intestines. who knows. i think it could be hormonal cuz my face and back has been breaking out like crazy. but Neutrogena antirusidue shampoo got it out for me. its just kinda expensive to use everyday.

Erika wrote at 2009-11-27 23:44:26
I have had the same problem more than once.. i just had a read though all answers and decided to try dish washing liquid this time around... i lathered it up and let it sit for a few mins then washed it again with dish liquid then again with normal shampoo and conditioner... it seemed to work perfectly... hope that helps...

Amy wrote at 2010-04-14 18:50:42
Wow.  Glad to know I'm not alone.  Thought I was really sick or something.  Mine started for the first time about a week ago.  I really thought my 12 year old son had played an April fools joke on me and put something in my shampoo.  Now after two weeks of trying everything acidic to break this down, I'm on the internet searching for an answer.  I guess there is comfort in knowing we are not alone, but frustrating that noone has found an answer yet.  I'm 44 - this feels like puberty - oily/waxy hair at the crown of my head.  ahhhh the joys of life.

Jac wrote at 2010-05-11 10:47:34
Hi guys, I had the exact same thing happen to me. Out of no where all the hair along my part was disgusting and waxy. I don't know what caused it (either hormones or conditioner) but the best thing to fix it (tried and tested) is a basic oil. I used sweet almond oil, but Olive oil would be fine also. As oil absorbs oil, you're basically fighting fire with fire. Just like not water proof mascara dissolves with water. After you've let it sit for a bit, wash out with a good shampoo.

DON'T use washing up detergent. It's far to strong for your scalp and can burn your skin. I hope this helps everyone!

Christine wrote at 2010-05-23 19:28:07
I have had this very same problem three times before, and am actually dealing with it right now. I have tried clarifying shampoos, none worked. Dish soap helped a little bit, but my hair was still gross....The only thing to help enough last time was a vinegar treatment. Mix two parts vinegar to one part water, and soak your hair in it. Let it soak in for a few minutes, and then rinse it out and re-wash your hair. If this doesn't help, see a professional! lol

Lynn wrote at 2010-05-24 21:55:43
I have had a similar problem and washing just that little area with an anti-dandruff or anti-fungal shampoo.  After using it just once this cleared it up and made my scalp and hair feel much better.  

JooliaGoolia wrote at 2010-06-08 20:40:41
I'm going through this again right now for the third time in about three years...it's so frustrating!  I realized that everything that I touch AFTER I tough my hair gets that same waxy feel.. i.e. my brush, my hair clips, or anything I touch with my hands (like my water bottle or toothbrush).  The waxy film is even hard to wash out of my brush, so I decided to buy a new brush and use a new towel and pillow case---EVERYTHING NEW AND UNTOUCHED by the wax to see if it goes away!!  LOL! I also bought Head & SHoulders, but I think I will try the olive oil treatment alongside it (as the other person here recommended).  I though it could be just contamination from a new face serum I'm using (perhaps I should have washed my hands thoroughly before touching my hair?), but who knows. Will post if anything I did helped it go away!

JooliaGoolia wrote at 2010-06-09 19:07:34
Well, in continuation to my previous comment, I doused my scalp and hair last night with olive oil before going to sleep (put a towel on my pillow so it wouldn't get oily).  The next morning, I washed my hair and entire body with The Body Shop Tea Tree Shower Gel (used no conditioner, just the shower gel).  I used a new clean towel and a brand new brush afterwards.  With just that, I feel it's about 80% gone.  I will wash my hair tomorrow again with the Tea Tree shower gel and see if that's the end of it or not!Actually, my hair feels REALLY soft (must be the olive oil), but there is still a slight film on the hair--but not noticeable in the least bit.  Really pleased actually with this outcome :) Good luck!

Rawan wrote at 2011-03-13 15:26:29
I HAVE THIS TOO AND I HATE! but im not pregnant, iv never been pregnant im 19 i tried anti dandruff shampoos and olive oil last night ITS STILL THERE :'(

i have been breaking out so maybe its hormonal but i dont know how to make it go away its ugly

Jewel wrote at 2011-09-18 00:02:13
Hi, I am 45, I just started getting this a few months ago  The first time it was light, and small only at the crown.  The second time it was thicker and harder to get rid of. I used some Paraffin free shampoo and it went away. Well I got it again, only a few days ago and it had definitely gotten larger. This is not a product overuse issue. I feel it's hormonal.  I think I have been a hormonal wreck lately, maybe pre menopause. Also, lots of new grey hairs. I tried head and shoulders, didn't work. My daughter suggested T-gel. WOW! It worked and my hair is so soft.  I knew it as soon as I started shampooing. I don't know for how long, but I couldn't wait to tell everyone.  I think I'm going to try to start a database that tracks what everyone is eating, drinking, shampooing & conditioning, laundering and medicating with.  Another great description would also be a feeling of a stick of antiperspirant on the top of your head.  Too bad this site won't let me leave my e-mail. I'd really like to research this.  Good luck, The t-gel worked for me. Hope it does you too.

MJ wrote at 2011-11-12 04:30:00
Hi, I'm a different Mary Jane, but have been experiencing the same problem, thought it was hormonal.  It is an over-production of oil from the sebaceous gland. Mine went very waxy after a very bad accident 1 1/2 year ago, and still hasn't corrected itself.  It's awful, what I have noticed is that it's worse when I'm stressed.  Wished it would just go away, any suggestion.  

sam wrote at 2012-01-12 04:10:50
I too have the waxy hair syndrome that came on suddenly. It is not product! My hair very dry but suddenly it was sticky and waxy feeling after I washed it. I thought maybe I did not rinse well, so I rewashed my hair with clarifying shampoo. It only got worse from there. I have used tea tree oil, Listerine and clarifying shampoo since then and nothing helps. It is even difficult to brush once it dries. I have read about others with the same problem so I think it is a Phenomenon that should be investigated.

lisa wrote at 2012-02-09 20:32:46
I have this same problem and T-gel shampoo took care of it right away. I would love to know what causes it as it has happened two months ago and then again a few days ago. I hear people say it is most likely a autoimmune thing. This still doesn't answer my questions and concerns since there is such a wide range of autoimunne disorders. Anyway the T-gel gets rid of it until next time.(if you have it occur again). It is by nuetrogena and can be puchased most anywhere.

Des wrote at 2012-09-29 20:12:54
I have had a nasty build up on my hair for about a week, it has happened before but never lasted this long I tried lots of things what finally worked was baby shampoo (I used generic brand) mixed with baking soda, about a 2 parts baby shampoo, to 1 part baking soda, applied it to dry hair mainly in the area of build up, lathered up and rinsed in shower, followed up with a good shampoo and conditioner, and it's gone!!!  

Help_Me_Help_U wrote at 2012-12-05 06:20:25
Hey everyone! I'm a medical student trying to find the cause of this issue (which I also happen to have)

Please take this brief survey to help me find the cure!

https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=krEjBjjfR9Ynlcejo83uZQ

Michele in Tracy wrote at 2013-01-04 04:05:24
Wow!  So glad so many people posted.  I just got this for the first time about 3 days ago and was starting to freak out about it.  I thought it was a new shampoo so I changed to something else.  Also stopped using conditioner.  I don't use any other products on my hair.  I'm 51 and have already been through menopause, so I don't think it's hormonal.  I have heard it could be stress related which would make sense for me.  I also read on another post that apple cider vinegar (for brown hair) and white vinegar (for blonde hair) works to remove it.  May have to shampoo a couple of times to get the vinegar smell out.

Frustrated wrote at 2013-01-05 18:40:43
I have been experiencing the same thing for a week now.  It started shortly after I got an expensive ionic hair dryer.  I have no idea if that was the cause.  My hair was very waxy/oily at the crown.  Then, my husband and I rode our snowmobiles to a hotel.  The next morning when I used the hotel shower, shampoo, and hair dryer my hair was completely normal.  As soon as I got home though, the waxy crown was back!  I just switched to Suave cleansing shampoo for normal to oily hair with no conditioner and this helped; however did not solve the problem.  I am going to buy a non-ionic dryer today.  I thought it was hormonal; however, I don't understand why my hair was completely fine when I showered at the hotel.  This is sooo frustrating.   Oh and I have had this once before.  I couldn't figure it out then either and it eventually went away after 1-2 weeks.  

Micaela wrote at 2013-02-02 03:01:54
I am 61 years old and this past summer I went through a very stressful time. I had started using Suave shampoo because it was cheaper and I thought this was what caused the waxy-sticky hair. Now I truly believe it is stress related. What is worse is that my hair is falling out like crazy. I used to have beautiful thick hair and now my hair is thinning and wiry. I am going to try the T-gel shampoo, I hope it works for me.  

dowdy deb :) wrote at 2013-02-23 21:25:53
well, I do feel better knowing I'm not alone, but....my waxy crown is back and don't really know how long I had it before but it did go away. after reading all the above posts, the hormonal angle could be plausible but I'm well past menopause, stress ? well maybe. I wish I knew what was going on in my life last time, I just remember being really embarrassed while in the hairdressers chair for my cut. but it's cropped up again and yes stress is heavy right now, just thought as others that I'd either used too much conditioner or had forgotten to rinse. So I have a question, vinegar came to mind as I want to "strip" my hair, but I color it. so would the vinegar react and give me a funky color as well as grease head?

Kay wrote at 2013-03-18 21:58:44
I have had this same issue. I have found that using suave daily clarifying shampoo has helped DRAMATICALLY. Also using some of the brown Listerine on your scalp before shampooing helps too. After one application my scalp was 90% better. There is hope!

Barbara Houk wrote at 2013-08-13 21:04:00
I am a physician and I had the waxy hair problem. Several months ago I came here looking for an answer. I found possible answers. I took that to my health care NP. Yes it is hormonal! The body is under stress. What stress depends on the specifics of your life. Every hair cell under stress can act as the ear hair cells and produce wax instead of oil. It seams the crown does this best. My shins do this too. So your adrenal glands are out of balance. But that does not always give you the underlying cause. Your digestion could be under constant stress. Since 1970 we have a new wheat and there is high frutose corn syrup in nearly everything. Often there is monosodiumglutamate (MSG) known as a flavor enhancer but it is a brain accelerator. In the USA, those working are doing the job if 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 people that was done in 1970. Most people do not trust the USA government and we don't even know how many federal laws we break by just living each day. This is heavy anxiety. This is stress. You may have uncommon stresses. Change your diet, see a natural pathic doctor. Walk 10 to 30 min quietly daily. I gently scrap wax to remove then wash in warm water weekly. I brush hair daily to move oils downward. Dr. Houk

Barbara Houk wrote at 2013-08-13 21:15:06
To the lady with hair falling out: get to a natural pathic doctor. There are hormonal reasons for hair falling out, which low thyroid is only one cause. But this is a treatable cause. This could be your only symptom to a sub detectable thyroid problem and current endocrinologists do not look for the 1% cases (AMA does not give them enough time via the CPT codes; gee I wonder why >60% if docs in USA QUIT this year). There are other reasons, and a well schooled doctor in integrated medicine often is better than a highly pushed by the system specialist. You need answers. Dr. Houk  

Natasha Kull wrote at 2014-07-10 12:46:43
I developed the same problem about 5 days ago. This happened to me the same time last year. At first I thought it was the shampoo I was using (which I happened to be using both types I got it), but even after switching to my regular shampoo 2 days ago, the waxy crown was still there. Last night I tried the Apple cider vinegar rinse but it only cleared my hairline and the grease moved to the sides of my hair. This morning I did a Listerine rinse and there was a big improvement. About 75% of it is gone! I think I shouldve kept the rinse on for longer so hopefully it'll clear up in a couple of more rinses. I really recommend Listerine!!  

storm wrote at 2014-12-30 15:48:35
I have a solution that seems to work.dilute apple cider vinegar and put it in your hair like you'd do with shampoo then leave for 30 minutes and wash out.after add baking soda to your normal shampoo and wash your hair then wash normally with conditioner.hope this helps it did for me xxx

Nat wrote at 2015-03-13 12:22:31
I have the same problem, it started when I was pregnant with my first born. And yes two years old and the problem reappeared. It's really strange bc I don't use any hair products but I'm going to note the time of the month I just got off my period and I've been overtired lately

Waxy wrote at 2015-04-12 02:24:47
So glad I found this forum! I just experienced the same problem. Did some of the same things, new brush, shampoo and so on. Here is a little history prior to my waxy buildup occurring. I just started going into menopause and as a a result stopped taking my birth control pills. After a month or two I made an appointment with my GYN who immediately had me restart my birth control pills due to some undesirable symptoms I was experiencing. After only 7 to 8 days of restarting my BC pils I experienced this awful waxy build up feeling in my hair. Nothing I tried helped, however after another few days of continuing my BC pills the condition is improving, but by no means gone. I just hope once my hormone level stabilizes the waxy feeling will completely clear up and NEVER return! So personally after reading all the other comments I believe it is definitely hormonal related in my case. But again so appreciative of this forum and all the responses. I will sleep easier.

JAB wrote at 2015-05-24 04:24:34
I have had the same waxy build up on the crown of my head for a couple of months and tried different shampoos, dish detergent and conditioners - or no conditioner at all.  While some of them helped, they didn't get rid of the problem. I finally found something that worked! I used an anti-residue shampoo that said to use it once a week to get rid of hair product build up. It did the trick!  Unfortunately, after a couple of weeks, the waxy feeling started to come back again. So I have to keep using the anti-residue shampoo once a week to keep it under control. I read on one of the forums that it might be caused by a fungus. Sounds disgusting but that would explain why I can't get rid of it completely.  

Hairstyling

Hairman