Hairstyling/How to get my natural brunette color

My natural color all my life has been a dark brunette color (like Katie Holmes or Kim Kardashian) with a very faint auburn dimension to it, and golden strands near my temples. My dad was ash blond and my mom is Asian. I started getting gray at the temples 2 years ago so I began coloring it (single process at a high-end salon) about 18 months ago. It keeps coming out too dark, with too much of a purple-ish burgundy tinge, and too flat. Each time I go back, every 10 weeks or so, I ask the colorist to lighten the color and she removed the warm tones which helped lessen the maroon tinge, but I still keep having the problem of it not looking natural - it is still too dark and too one-dimensional. I don't know what I should be asking for - do I need lowlights?  Or highlights? Or just a different color single process? Or something else altogether? All I want is for my hair to be the same rich brown color it has been all my life - is it just not possible to get this with artificial coloring or do I need to get a new colorist?

The first thing you need is another stylist or salon, as this one is obviosly not listening to you. All they have to do is look at your regrowth to see what your natural colour is and match that, minus the grey. In fact, if they formulate accordingly, where you now have grey would remain slightly lighter, immitating your former natural highlights in that area. The last thing you need is lowlights, since it's already too dark. Highlihgts would be good fpr dimension and interest, but your issue is not one of wanting highlights, but merely more natural looking colour. Your new stylist will need to lift out the current colour slightly so that the new colour that you really want will show. Not a huge deal. All they need to do is match your regrowth and not formulate for full grey coverage, as mentioned before.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)  

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in