Hairstyling/Re: How to Maintain Curly Hair (Male)

Question
Dear Hairman,

I am a 22 year old male and I have thick curly, black hair. I am from South Asia. I want to get my hair to look like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-i0bJuHVt0pM/TZqUAoi0XaI/AAAAAAAAD9Q/ZMnMjjImgcw/s1600/

My hair is extremely similar to that, but I can't seem to get it to look like that when it gets longer. I have my hair cut very short right now and am going to let it grow out for the next six months or so until it can achieve that length, but when it gets to that stage, how do I get it cut to look like that? My hair is thick.

Also, what hair products EXACTLY should I use to maintain the hair at that length? I want to keep my hair's moisture and want it to feel very smooth and soft after a shower, but I often find that when my hair is that long, after it dries after a shower, it tends to look odd. What products should I get (even as specific as a brand name would help) to get it to look like the picture?

Thank you a lot!

Answer
Bilal,
 Unfortunately, you will not get thick or coarse hair to look like that picture when it gets long. Different textures look differently, no matter what products you use. And thick or course hair will not have the soft, broken up look that you see in this picture, no matter what you do, until it gets quite a bit longer than this. For best maintenance you'll want a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, any decent brand. I rarely suggest specifics, as that would make it more difficult to find many times. After shampooing and conditioning, towel dry and apply a nourishing oil like an argan oil or other botanical blend, or a silicone sealant and distribute well. These are readily available in beauty supplies or stores. Then apply a light hold mousse or gel sparingly. You only want a light hold and control without stiffness. Comb and then fluff into place for the desired look and leave to dry undisturbed.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman