Hairstyling/African American hair and best straightening

Question
Hello, my name is Jae , I'm 44yo with fairly course hair . However , as I entered my 40's the top of my hair is starting to thin and also the texture is totally different from the other sections of my hair. I have used traditional relaxers for over 30 yrs. I'm currently using Design. My problem is that I want to wear a protective style for awhile to give my hair a break , but I'm afraid my hair will sweat under it a lot being that I'm peri menopausal and I'm sweating in my head a bunch. I believe my edges will quickly become unruly and I will need a retouch to straighten my edges within a few weeks. What method of straightening do u recommend for this type situation/hair? Also, I was informed that Peruvian hair is the best match for African Americans, do you agree on that type hair being a good choice for matching up my ethnicity ? Thanks for your patience and support in answering my questions. Jae J.

Answer
Jae,
 As for the hair match, I had not heard that Peruvian hair was the best match. This is something that varies from person to person with individual hair texture and can't be covered with a blanket statement. I would suggest looking at different textures to see what matches your own hair best. Which brings me to the main part of your letter. I'm thinking that if you want to give your hair a break, retouching the perimeter would be counter-productive to your intent, as you'd still be doing the same thing in those areas. This would be true since, as you are now using a sodium relaxer, you would have to continue with that type, whichever brand you choose. switching from this type could result in a good deal of damage.
 If sweating is a big concern, given your current life stage, I'd suggest perhaps going to a braided or twisted style, which would accomplish what you want while not creating a heated environment on your head that would make you more uncomfortable. This would also eliminate the need to retouching the perimeter as well during this time.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman