Hairstyling/I'm trying to go natural with my hair

Question
How do you go natural from having a relaxer?
I'm African American. I used to get relaxers, but I want to go natural now. What are some good products that I can use and any hairstyles that are natural? Advice and suggestions. How I help it grow also? Do I have to cut off my hair to go natural?

Answer
Danielle,
 The main things as you do this are patience and moisture, moisture moisture. You'll want to keep your hair well moisturized to minimize breakage at it grows out, and at some point you will have to make a conscious choice to cut the relaxed hair off.
 USe moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, preferably sulfate free. follow with a nourishing oil like argan oil or other botanical blend. There are many out there and they work well to maintain moisture and softness.These can also be applied between shampoos as needed on a dily basis to maintain.  Avoid excess heat as much as possible. Roller sets work to smooth hair while transitioning. For more texture you can set hair in braids of twists and undo them once dry for interesting textures and looks that will also blend the two different textures. You can even set on perm rods. Wrapping is another option as well, for a smoother look without heat, or safer heat if sitting under a dryer.
 As I said before, at some point you'll have to cut, but this way you can delay it.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)  

Hairstyling

Hairman