Hairstyling/New Hair Color

Hello Hairman,

My name is Priscilla, and I am 19 years old. I've always had the same hair color and was always afraid to dye my hair, but now I am ready! I ask friends and family what color will suit me, and they say a lighter brown tone or red tone. I have fair skin, but during winter I get white like snow white. I have brown eyes and medium/dark brown hair. My hair is right above my butt, it's pretty long. I don't know what to do :( Thank you for your time!

You are a beautiful young lady with beautiful hair. At the length you have it now, if it gets damaged or messed up it would be a nightmare indeed. If you are considering colour I would suggest something very close to your own, maybe SLIGHTLY lighter, with just a bit of red. Much lighter than your own colour and you'll have to retouch more often and it will look worse as it's growing out. What I'd really suggest are just a couple of peek-a-boo highlights in a mahogany or rich red just to add some dimension and sparke without the possible risk of ruining a head of hair that would take at least 4 years to grow back, since hair grows about 6 inches a year.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in