Hairstyling/White hair roots

One-third to one-half of my hair was gray, and I started coloring it a few months ago.  I have had the roots touched up several times now.  Curiously, though, the roots of hair that has been colored don't seem to be growing in gray; they are growing out in the same color as my dyed hair (which matches my natural color.  I have looked very carefully, and it is only the new hairs that are growing in gray; all my gray hairs are all about the same short length.  My stylist agrees this is really happening, but she can't explain why.  Does this happen to other people?  Perhaps the hair dye has affected the hair follicle somehow and is causing the new growth of existing hair to grow in with color? Or is there some other explanation for what is happening?

On a slightly different topic:  My stylist says that my hair is "resistant" and has had to switch to a coloring product that has ammonia.  Previously, she was using a more expensive product without ammonia, but it was not coloring the short, new growth white hairs, and she would have to go through the coloring process twice (in the same salon visit) before they would be successfully colored.  Is "resistance" a good thing or a bad thing?  If I had a choice, would a coloring product without ammonia be better for my hair?

I have never heard of this happening. Nothing you apply to your hair will change the natural colour growth. I suspect that you are both misreading what you are seeing. As your hair grows in only the new growth will be grey along with new shorter hairs growing in grey. But the colour did not change how your hair grows in.
 As to the resistance of your hair, this is very common. Some grey hair is more resistant to colour coverage. This is neither good nor bad, but just a fact which must be dealt with accordingly. Non ammonia colours are usually not suited to resistand hair, which is why the permanent ammonia colour would be necessary. Many ammonia colours now are almost as gentle as non ammonia colours, so not to worry.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in