Hairstyling/Hair going grey

Hi, I have fairly fine, brown hair that has been highlighted to blonde for years and years. My hair is going grey, breaking off all around the hairline quite short and thinning. I need to cover the grey but I think highlighting it is really damaging. Not sure what to do because it is looking very fragile.Should I just get the parting toned to dull down the grey and leave it alone over the ears? It is shoulder length and my fringe comes down to my jaw line, although there's not a lot of it as it's broken. Please can you advise? Thank you

Firstly, your hair should not be breaking around the hairline. This denotes a serious problem. I have a feeling that this is not from the highlighting, but something else. Breakage to a specific area is usually from a specific thing being done to it. This sounds typical of flat ironing or styling with high dryer heat for smoothing around the face. Just a guess. Either that or you tie it back a lot, which will also weaken and break the fragile hairline hair.
 You want to make sure as well, that your stylist is just retouching your highlights and not relightening the full strand length each time. This wall also cause damage and breakage.
As for the highlighting, this is for adding dimension and brightness, and while it can certainly lessen the contrast with the white hair, making it less noticable, it is really not meant to "cover" grey.
I would suggest getting an overall colour in a light brown or dark blonde and then highlighting for brightness. You won't need as much highlighting this way or need it highlighted as often. You would have your base colour regrowth retouched every 4-6 weeks and the hihglihgts done about every 3 months.
 Use any good moisturizing conditioner on a regular basis to keep the hair moisturized and softer, to lessen breakage.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

I have been a Licensed cosmetologist in New York state for over 26 years, and am well versed in many areas of the cosmetology and appearance enhancement profession.Specialties however, are hair colour, corrective colour and permanent waving,including the chemical and technical aspects of these services and their effects on the hair.I`m glad to consult on any problems you are having concerning your hair.If I don`t have the answer, I`ll try to get it for you.

I've been licensed for cosmetology in New York State since 1974.I am a salon owner, and very active with the National Cosmetology Association and New York State Cosmetology Associaiton.I am one of only a few hundred people in the United States to be certi

For the field of cosmetology, to become acredited as a state educator for the New York State Education Committee or HairAmerica, you must submit to a full day exam, encompassing written exam, practical segments, lesson plans and presentations to prove our knowledge and teaching skills.The same applies for HAirAmerica.I also becam board certified as a coulourist in the same way, by submitting to a full day exam process.I am also antionally certified for cosmetology by the National Cosmetology Ass

I have received several educational awards from New York State for my educational work on a state and national level.
My web site, still under construction, in