Hairstyling/bleaching that resulted in different colours down the strand

Question
I have very dark brown hair with natural chestnut highlights. I began to notice that I have gray hairs beginning, and wanted to color. I have colored my hair in the past, and my hair fades out to a reddish brown even after using almost black color within a few weeks.I wanted to add a youthful splash of something bold, and during the bleaching process ( using 30 volume developer)the roots turned a nice pale lemon yellow.The ends (I have waist length hair)are copper colored.Why would this happen? The bleach was applied at the same time and processed for the same amount of time. The final color that I would like to obtain is a blue black for the base color, with streaks of deep violet purple. I  would believe that the final result would be the violet would vary in degrees of darkness from the very light roots to the copper ends, or would the violet not take over the copper color at the ends? I do not want to have my hair bleached again, because of the damage it would do. My hairdresser said that the roots would most likely be considered at level 8-9 and my ends at about a 6. The demi color said that it works best at around a 7 or lighter. Suggestions?

Answer
Constance,
 This is why colour should be done in salons. Put your hands in the air and step away from the bleach. Firstly. why would you bleach you hair to a pale lemon yellow if you wanted a blue black result? Only the highlights would have needed to be bleached, and then only to a point that will show the desired colour result, in this case deep violet purple. So there would be no reason for that degree of lightening. It only creates extra damage and porosity and makes it more difficult for the new colour to hold.
The reason for the uneven bleach result is that you had old colour growing out that is mroe difficult to lighten than your natural colour, hence the copper ends.
The copper colour ends should be light enough for the purple you want, although the lighter areas will probably need filling before being coloured. The black may work OK, but the lighter root area shold also probably be filled for that as well to avoid excess fading.
I'd sugegst having your hairdresser do this for you.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman