Hairstyling/hair color and perms

Question
I am a stylist and I recently had a client who was 15 and had virgin hair. Her hair color was a level 12....almost white. She wanted dark brown and red lowlites. I did a level 5 and a level 7. I had it in my head that it was going to be pretty dark since she was so light but when the time was up and we washed her hair and dried it up it was as if I didn't color her hair. Why did her hair not take the color??? Also why does some hair not take perms?? is something missing in the hair????

Answer
Nicole,
 A 15 year old with hair this light is unusual. Nevertheless, even natural hair, when deepening from a light state, usually needs to be filled or primed to help it take the colour, just as when doing a tint back, as the hair lacks pigment and the ability to hold colour, just as though it had been lightened. This can even be done with a demi permanent no ammonia colour a level lighter than the final colour you'll be using. So, for a level 5 end result, prime with a level 6 red-orange base colour first.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman