Hairstyling/Perm gone wrong

Question
Hi, a couple of days ago I decided to get my hair permed. it has been a couple of years since my last perm, which I had no problem with. This time however my hair has no curl, at best a soft crimp and is really thick and brittle. the hairdresser left it a good thirty minutes or so after washing the solution out before putting the neutralizer in- could this be what went wrong? Also what would you advise to use to try and restore my hair as quickly as possible. It was very fine and shiny prior to this and is now just a mess. Any advice and ideas on what might have gone wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Bree,
 You don't mention whether your hair has any other processing such as colour or highlights. If so, the stylist should have taken this into consideration. A big problem is that often clients will have bleach or highlights that they have coloured over, so previous processing is not seen and often undetectable unless told about it.
 In either case, it sounds like it may be over-processed, but that remains to be seen. What your stylist did, waiting before neutralizing your hair, is called air neutralizing and is the preferred method among better stylists to assure a more stable and firm curl result. It sounds like your stylist did things right, which is why I question the condition or prior services on the hair.
 I would suggest shampooing once with a clarifying shampoo and using a moisturizing conditioner on it, leaving the conditioner on for a few minutes before rinsing. Then, after towel drying your hair you will test the condition by cutting off a few of the strand ends, just a couple inches long, and dropping into a bowl of water. If they float the hair is in suitable condition to perm again. If they sink then your hair is to damaged to re-perm right now. In this case all you can do is continue to condition regularly to build it up.
And you want to get into the salon right away to let them see your hair.
Best of luck to you.
Stephe (hairman)

Hairstyling

Hairman